Independence Day week marred by boating fatalities
By Jonathan Sweet
July 8, 2013
Filed under News
There were no accidents as high-profile as in 2012 when three children died when a boat capsized off Long Island, but several incidents did occur over the long holiday week.
- A Georgia man was killed on Lake Allatoona after he fell out of his boat and was subsequently run over by it on Sunday.
- A 23-year-old woman was killed on Florida’s Caloosahatchee River Sunday when line attached to a tube pulled her overboard.
- In a July 4 hit-and-run accident on Oklahoma’s Lake Eufala, one man was killed and two of his grandchildren were injured when their pontoon boat was hit by a ski boat that then fled the scene.
- Two men were tossed into Iowa’s Lake Storm on a July 4 fishing trip. One man was rescued, but the other was killed in the incident, which is being blamed on high winds and rough waters.
- Two men were killed when their boats collided on Lake Fork in Texas July 1 and another passenger was severely injured.
- In Sudbury, Ontario, two men were killed in a Canada Day accident and two more were injured after the boat crashed into an island.