Judging Panel announced for IBEX Innovation Awards
International Boatbuilders' Exhibition & Conference
July 18, 2013
Filed under News
Members of Boating Writers International to Jury the Latest in Marine Product Development
BROOKLIN, ME—July 16, 2013—The International Boatbuilders’ Exhibition and Conference (IBEX) announced a panel of seven marine journalists to judge the 2013 IBEX Innovation Awards.
“The Innovation Awards honor excellence in product development in thirteen areas of the marine industry, including boatbuilding methods and materials, inboard and outboard engines, hardware, interior parts and furnishings, and safety equipment,” said Anne Dunbar, IBEX Show Director. “This is an opportunity for truly leading-edge technology to get recognition and exposure.”
To review all thirteen awards categories, please click here.
In addition, the judges may give an Environmental Award to any entry that provides an environmental benefit to the marine industry. This is not a separate category; rather, winners of this award will be selected from all products entered, regardless of category.
Entries for the Innovation Awards must be received by August 16, 2013. The winners will be announced at the Industry Breakfast on the first morning of IBEX: Tuesday, September 17, 2013. All entries will be displayed for the three days of the show in the Innovation Awards New Product Showcase.
The judges for the 2013 Innovation Awards are highly regarded as technical marine journalists and members of Boating Writers International (BWI), an organization that represents and promotes marine journalism. The judges are:
- Zuzana Prochazka, freelance writer and photographer for publications such as BoatU.S. Magazine, Sail, Sea, Yachtworld.com, Boats.com and others. Prochazka holds a USCG 100 Ton Masters license, is immediate past president of BWI, and editor of her gear and boat review website, TalkoftheDock.com.
- Pete Robson, freelance writer and former editor of Pacific Yachting magazine. Robson has been active in the recreational and commercial boating industry for over 40 years, including board service for the British Columbia Marine Trades Association.
- Alan Wendt, First Vice President of BWI, former editor of Marine CEO, and publisher of two boating lifestyle magazines, Adventure and Getaways!. Wendt has judged the Innovation Awards entries for the past 12 consecutive years.
- Beth Leonard, Director of Technical Services for BoatU.S. and Technical Editor for all BoatU.S. Publications including BoatU.S. Magazine. Leonard also is the editor of Seaworthy, a publication dedicated to vessel seaworthiness, and is the author of three books including the best-seller The Voyager’s Handbook.
- Frank Lanier, an accredited marine surveyor with 35 years of experience in the industry. Lanier holds a USCG 100 Ton Masters license and is an FCC licensed electronics technician. In addition, he is a marine journalist whose work is regularly featured in Practical Sailor, Southern Boating, Sea, Lakeland Boating and Boating World.
- Nigel Calder, author of Boatowner’s Mechanical and Electrical Manual and Marine Diesel Engines and a contributing editor to Professional BoatBuilder magazine. Calder has written hundreds of magazine articles and in recent years has become the technical coordinator of a European Union marine hybrid propulsion project.
- Ben Ellison, journalist focusing on marine electronics. Ellison is the editor of Pandbo.com, a marine electronics website, and his work appears in Power & MotorYacht, Sail, Soundings, Passagemaker and Yachts International.
For more information about the IBEX Innovation Awards, please click here to visit our website.