West Marine’s commitment to the environment continues with its fifth annual “Green Product of the Year” contest
West Marine, Inc.
August 12, 2013
Filed under News
Winning Entry Receives $10,000 Award at Miami International Boat Show
WATSONVILLE, Calif. (August 12, 2013) –West Marine (NASDAQ: WMAR), the nation’s largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, is proud to announce its fifth annual Green Product of the Year Award. The contest is accepting entries from the entire U.S., including the District of Columbia, as well as Puerto Rico and Canada (excluding the province of Quebec).
Through the award, West Marine hopes to promote green product development throughout the boating, fishing, sailing and watersports industries. “We are proud to be launching our fifth annual Green Product of the Year contest. We want to encourage and support sustainable innovation in the marine industry,” said Matt Hyde, CEO, West Marine.
The Green Product of the Year is an important component of West Marine’s BlueFuture® initiative to help create a sustainable future for the planet and to protect our waterways. The Green Product of the Year will be announced and the award of $10,000 will be presented to the designated Official Winner at the 2014 Miami International Boat Show.
The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors of boating products. The judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
1) Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
2) Economy: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis (use of the product will save $xx).
3) Environmental Impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Due to the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metric.
4) Degree of Innovation: Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
5) Timing: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2013 or will it be introduced in 2014?
6) Verification of claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entry must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
Participants can enter the contest, as well as view the complete rules and entry requirements, by completing an entry form at westmarine.com/green between August 12, 2013 and November 22, 2013.