Boat Owners Association of the US: By the numbers
Boat Owners Association of The United States
March 28, 2014
Filed under News
ALEXANDRIA, Va. -- Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) is an association of like-minded boaters, anglers and sailors defined by a sampling of numbers. From how many members it has, or the number of TowBoatUS and Vessel Assist towboats across the nation, to the number of fishing tournaments sanctioned by the BoatUS Angler “Weigh-to-Win” cash bonus program, BoatUS has a number for it.
Here’s a look at 2013 numbers for the nation’s boating advocate and services provider:
The BoatUS Member
- 500,000+: Total number of BoatUS members in 2013.
- 28 feet: Average length of a BoatUS member’s primary boat. (BoatUS members own two boats on average.)
- 1,000,000+: Total number of boats owned by BoatUS members in 2013.
- 27: Average number of years of boating experience for a BoatUS member.
- $10,000: The maximum grant amount given to each local boating group who gained a 2013 BoatUS Foundation Grassroots Grant (BoatUS.org/grants).
- 575: The number of locations across the country (all 50 states + District of Columbia) where you can borrow for free a child’s life jacket through the BoatUS Foundation’s Kids Life Jacket Loaner Program.
- 94,791: The number of students who have taken or enrolled in the BoatUS Foundation’s free Online Boating Safety Course in 2013, which qualifies as boating safety certification in 33 states and can qualify you for a discount on your boat insurance (BoatUS.org/courses).
- 2 weeks: The average length of a low-cost EPIRB (Emergency Position-Indicating Rescue Beacon) rental from the BoatUS Foundation EPIRB and PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) Rental Program (BoatUS.org/epirb).
- 2,131: Miles of fishing line recycled by the BoatUS Foundation Reel In and Recycle Monofilament Fishing Line Recycling Program (BoatUS.org/monofilament)
- 50%: The average reduction in cigarette litter seen at 43 marinas that participated in the BoatUS Foundation’s Cigarette Litter Prevention Program.
On the Water Boat Towing and Assistance
- 70,000+: The total number of requests from boaters for on the water assistance received by the BoatUS Towing Service's 24-hour dispatch centers and local TowBoatUS and Vessel Assist towing companies in 2013 (BoatUS.com/towing).
- 300: The total number of TowBoatUS and Vessel Assist towboat locations in North America (BoatUS.com/servicelocator). Over 600 towboats are in the fleet.
- $750: National average cost of an on the water towing bill paid out-of-pocket by non-members in 2013 (Amount paid by BoatUS members with annual BoatUS “Unlimited” Towing Service Plan: $0).
- 160,000: The total number of downloads for the BoatUS Smart Phone App since its launch in 2011, which provides an easy way to see, text, email and share via Facebook your boat’s location (including latitude & longitude), or to call for a tow on the water or to summon roadside assistance (BoatUS.com/app).
Roadside Trailering Assistance
- 43%: Percentage of requests for roadside assistance to the BoatUS 24-hour Dispatch Centers attributed to flat tires (the #1 request, followed by #2 bearings: 24%; #3. axle: 10%; #4. tow vehicle: 5%).
- $14: The cost of adding the BoatUS Unlimited Trailer Assist to a BoatUS membership, which will tow both a broken down boat trailer and tow vehicle up to 100 miles to repair facility, safe area, or home (BoatUS.com/trailerassist).
- 18,000: The total number of roadside assistance companies across North America offering BoatUS Unlimited Trailer Assist, dispatched 24/7.
BoatUS Angler Program
- 100%: Percentage of BoatUS Angler members who fish: 100% (BoatUSAngler.com). Overall percentage of BoatUS members who fish: 59%.
- 300+: The number of fishing tournaments (including B.A.S.S., FLW, PAA, LBAA and Collegiate Bass Fishing) sanctioned by the BoatUS Angler “Weigh-to-Win” cash bonus program that pays the highest-placing BoatUS Angler member. (BoatUS.com/angler/tournament_incentives.asp)
- $75,000: Bonus dollars available to BoatUS Angler members who registered for the BoatUS Angler “Weigh-to-Win” program in 2013.
- $7.8 Billion: The total hull value of all boats insured with BoatUS Marine Insurance in 2013 (BoatUS.com/insurance).
- 75+: The number of BoatUS Catastrophe Field Team members assigned to Hurricane Sandy, the single biggest recovery effort in the 40+ year history of the BoatUS Marine Insurance Program.
- 175: The number of Congressional meetings BoatUS Government Affairs attended on Capitol Hill in 2013.
- 45+: The number of organizations, including BoatUS, who are partners in the Smarter Fuel Coalition that is fighting against increasing amounts of engine-harming ethanol in the nation’s gasoline supply.
- $2,500: The average dollar amount returned to a BoatUS member who sought third-party negotiation assistance from the BoatUS Consumer Affairs Dispute Mediation Program to resolve a complaint in 2013 (BoatUS.com/consumerprotection).
DSC VHF Radio Registration
- 15,000+: Number of MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) numbers issued at no cost to boaters in 2013 through the BoatUS “Free MMSI Number” DSC VHF Radio registration at www.BoatUS.com/MMSI.
Boating and Fishing Discounts
- 1,050: The total number of boating and fishing businesses offering discounts to BoatUS members (BoatUS.com/servicelocator).
- 365: The number of BoatUS Cooperating marinas across the US that offer BoatUS members up to 10-cents off per each gallon of fuel (BoatUS.com/servicelocator).
- 4%: The percentage of West Advantage Gold Rewards earned back by BoatUS members when shopping for boating supplies at West Marine.
- 125: Number of press releases issued by the BoatUS Public Relations Office in 2013 (BoatUS.com/pressroom).
- 7.1 million: The number of visits to BoatUS.com in 2013.