Weekly 5: Boomers ready to spend
The BI Weekly 5 is a collection of tips, news and data affecting the boating industry this week. Be sure to look for the BI Weekly 5 every Tuesday on BoatingIndustry.com.
1. Boomers more positive about finances
Baby boomers heading into retirement are more positive about their finances than in the past, according to a new study from Gallup. That’s positive news for their ability to spend money on their hobbies, hopefully including boating. The negative news out of the survey, though, is that those coming behind them – the trailing boomers and Generation X – are much more pessimistic about having enough money to do what they want.
Millenials, on the other hand, are almost as positive as the oldest baby boomers.
2. Solid June for consumer confidence
Good news on the consumer confidence front, as three key measures all showed a positive trend.
- The Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index was up nearly 7 points in June to its highest point since January 2008
- Bloomberg’s Consumer Comfort Index for last week also hit its highest level since January 2008 at minus 28.3
- The final June Thomson-Reuters/University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index was at 84.1, up from June’s preliminary number and less than half a point off of May’s six-year high
3. 20+ ways to build a web presence
If we learned nothing else from putting together our dealer directory, it’s how many marine dealers don’t have websites. If you haven’t taken that step yet, this article from Small Business Trends offers more than 20 ways to build a web presence for your company.
4. 7 steps to a social media strategy
Don’t know how to jump into social media? Here’s a quick guide to set up your social media strategy.
5. Video: The dangers of E15
Ethanol, especially E15, has been in the news again lately with the Supreme Court’s decision not to hear the industry’s case against the EPA.
Not sure what the big deal is or how to explain it to your customers? Check out this useful video from NMMA and Discover Boating.